Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 90-minute getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these FTW spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
Buc-ee’s, 15901 N. Fwy.
- If you need to go, you might as well go to the cleanest restrooms in America. While you’re there be sure to grab an award-winning coffee, some beaver nuggets, homemade jerky, and breakfast tacos.
Vending Nut Co., 2222 Montgomery St.
- Beat boredom by snacking on dried fruit, nuts, Texas Trash trail mix, and candy from this Cowtown mainstay.
Roy Pope Grocery, 2300 Merrick St.
- Grab a Roy Pope burger or a signature sandwich to-go + choose from a selection of teas from the local Leaves Book and Tea Shop (120 St. Louis Ave.).
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
Leon Bridges, “Coming Home”
Abraham Alexander, EP
James McMurtry, “The Horses and the Hounds”
Bonus: Listen to the lifestyle podcast “It’s Probably You” by L.D.P or take a deep dive into everything happening in the city on the 817 Podcast hosted by tech CEO EJ Carrion and Jimmy Sweeney, founder of the Grand Berry Theater.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
Fort Worth Auto Garage, 8851 W. Fwy.
- Don’t get stuck in the Texas heat — stop by for a free visual air conditioning check + teachers, military, and first responders can get 10% off service.
Rick & Ray’s Auto Plaza, 2425 Cullen St.
- Avoid having to wait in line at this expansive garage with 23 service bays and 13 lifts — you’ll be back on the road in no time.
Bolen’s Automotive, 5200 McCart Ave.
- Your car needs pampering too, get 15% off fluid flushes or 10% off any service over $100.
Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
Camp Bow Wow, 6411 Camp Bowie Blvd.
- Keep up with what your pup is doing on the 24/7 live stream + get your first day free.
Happy Tails Dog Sitting, Near Boswell & Saginaw, N. Main St.
- Your four-legged friends can run free at this animal-loving home offering extended stay services, walks to the dog park, a large backyard, and at-home pickups.
Cowtown Canines, 4605 Benbrook Hwy.
- Voted Best of Fort Worth in 2019 by Fort Worth Magazine, this daycare offers cage-free play, spa treatments, and training.
Pro tip: Find a house-sitting service for your friendly felines.