Table of Contents
Historic Fort Worth Inc. released its list of historic buildings for its annual Most Endangered Places list.
The list is a marketing and educational tool that highlights historic landmarks + resources threatened by a number of different circumstances — lack of maintenance, loss of parking, and lack of awareness of economic incentives to rehab historic buildings.
This year’s list features a wide range of sites including city-owned buildings, historic water pumps, and a sports stadium.
The Woman’s Club of Fort Worth,1316 Pennsylvania Ave.
- Owner: Members of The Woman’s Club of Fort Worth
- Built: 1903-1911
- Background: The Woman’s Club of Fort Worth is celebrating its 100th anniversary of educational programs for women in the arts, literature, history, fine arts, and other areas. A membership drive is underway to help to defray the maintenance and operating expenses of the buildings. The current membership costs less than $50 per month.
Fort Worth Community Arts Center and Scott Theater, 1300 Gendy St.
- Owner: The city of Fort Worth
- Built: 1954-1974
- Background: The building serves as the headquarters for Arts Fort Worth, a nonprofit that manages the city’s public art program. Last year, a city assessment called for $26 million in repairs and a final report is due to City Council on June 6. Historic Fort Worth added the building to the list citing issues with paid parking as a threat to the business plans.
Farrington Field, 1501 University Dr.
- Owner: Fort Worth ISD
- Built: 1939
- Background: The stadium is home to Fort Worth ISD and TXWES football games, along with other community events. The stadium is one of several sites owned by Fort Worth ISD that made the endangered list. Historic Fort Worth is encouraging a designation to protect the historic status of the sites in any potential sales.
Here’s a look at the other nominations:
- Jack A. Billingsley Field House, 1400 Foch St.
- W.I. Cook Memorial Hospital, 1212 West Lancaster Ave.
- Allen Chapel, 116 Elm St.
- Boulevard Heights Transition Center, 5100 El Campo Ave.
- Holly Water Pump Station, 920 Fournier St.
- Lake Worth Civilian Conservation Corps Marker, 4044 Peninsula Club Circle
- Pioneers Rest Cemetery, 620 Samuels Ave.
- St. Ignatius Academy, 1206 Throckmorton St.
- Waddy Russell Home, 1352 Park St.