The holidays is here and it’s time for harvest season treats — particularly a Texas favorite: pecan pie. Who doesn’t love a warm, nutty, caramelly dessert with a buttery crust and a gooey center? We’ve rounded up six local spots to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth with a pecan pie — or your favorite baked good.
Where to get the goods 🥧
Blue Bonnet Bakery, 4705 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Snag a slice of the bakery’s fruit pie or a pumpkin pie for the holidays.
Try this: Classic pecan, just like Mama makes.
Emporium Pies, 411 S. Main St.
There’s a reason it’s called the “Lord of the Pies” — this delectable creation has ten apples, homemade caramel, and crispy cinnamon streusel.
Try this: The Drunken Nut pie has a shortbread crust that cradles a bourbon butter filling.
Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop, 6120 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Try flavors like southern custard, granny’s apple, chocolate cream, key lime, peanut butter cream, coconut cream, and chewy chocolate chip.
Try this: A pie for each hand — try both the I-40 + Nanny’s Pecan pies.
Stir Crazy Baked Goods, 1251 W. Magnolia Ave.
Pie should be for everyone, including our vegan and gluten-free friends. Grab a dessert in flavors like apple, cranberry apple, spiced buttermilk, and pumpkin. Try this: Go gluten-free with this chocolate bourbon pecan pie.
Sweet Lucy’s Pies, 3520 Bluebonnet Circle.
Order early to get a slice of butterscotch chocolate chess or roasted spiced pumpkin.
Try this: Indulge with fresh pecans with a TX Whiskey spiked filling.
Note: Thanksgiving pre-orders have closed, but first come-first serve pies will be available Friday, Nov. 17-Saturday, Nov. 18 + Tuesday, Nov. 21-Wednesday, Nov. 22.
Swiss Pastry Shop, 3936 W. Vickery Blvd.
Don’t skimp out on the meringue, cream, mousse, fruit, or custard pies.
Try this: Pecan is among the bakery’s many custard pies.
Make your own 🎛️
Rather wow your friends with a homemade dessert? Try out Blackland Distillery’s Texas Pecan Brown Sugar Bourbon Pie recipe.
- 8 ounces light corn syrup
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ounce melted unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Texas Pecan Brown Sugar Bourbon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350º (or 325º for convection).
- Place premade or homemade crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Par-bake crust using beans or pie weights for 5 minutes.
- Turn crust and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- While crust is par-baking, whisk corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and bourbon until just combined.
- Spread pecan pieces evenly in the par-baked shell.
- Pour corn syrup mixture over the pecans.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn pie and bake for an additional 25 minutes until thermometer reaches 200º. Note: The time is a guideline. The temperature must reach 200º.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.