Table of Contents
What’s better than a good book? A good book written by your neighbor (or former neighbor). Brew up a batch of your favorite tea or coffee and get ready to meet your next read, because we’re talking about locally written books in Fort Worth.
- “Woman of Light” by Kali Fajardo-Anstine | Release date: June 7, 2022 | Luz Lopez has visions of family secrets in this multigenerational Western saga.
- “The Last Housewife” by Ashley Winstead | Release date: August 16, 2022 | A Texas woman must destroy a powerful cult in this chilling thriller.
- “Portrait of a Thief” by Grace D. Li | Release date: April 5, 2022 | Harvard senior Will Chen must put together a heist crew to steal five priceless pieces of Chinese art.
For the family
- “Goodnight Cowtown” by Jennifer Gaines Dez | Release date: January 1, 2011 | Say sweet dreams to local icons like the Stockyards, Joe T. Garcia’s, Sundance Square, and the Trinity River.
- “Man Made Monsters” by Andrea Rogers | Release date: October 4, 2022 | The Cherokee writer makes her young adult debut with a series of short stories that track horrors throughout centuries.
- “Maxine’s New Job” by Lynda Jones-Mubarak | Release date: May 1, 2018 | Maxine Hill’s inquisitive young mind helps her solve mysteries around her neighborhood. The series is available in English and Spanish.
Learn something new
- “100 Things to Do in Fort Worth Before You Die” by Celestina Blok | Release date: October 1, 2022 | Get an insider’s guide to Cowtown from a third-generation Fort Worthian.
- “Follow the Angels, Follow the Doves: The Bass Reeves Trilogy” by Sidney Thompson | Release date: March 1, 2022 | The origin story of the most successful 19th-century American lawman.
- “Polytechnic Days: Texas Wesleyan’s First Decade 1891-1901” by Risa Brown | Release date: February 26, 2022 | Follow the story of the early years of Fort Worth’s Polytechnic College, now known as Texas Wesleyan University.
Part of a series
- “Phoenix” by Kimberly Packard | Release date: January 3, 2018 | A criminal past and a woman on the run — pick up this thrilling series for a bit of suspense.
- “The Outcasts” by Misty Hayes | Release date: Dec. 9, 2017 | Mystical relics, powerful vampires, and strange allies make up the first installment of The Blood Dagger series.
- “Second Act” by Marsha R. West | Release date: March 19, 2015 | A Fort Worth nonprofit board member turns up dead and it’s up to homicide detective Mike Riley to crack the case.
- “Ancestor Trouble: A Reckoning and a Reconciliation” by Maud Newton | Release date: March 29, 2022 | The author dives into her own genealogy to reckon with her ancestors’ beliefs + actions.
- “Dearest Babe, Letters from a World War II Flight Surgeon” by Kelly Farris Mazade and FTWtoday’s very own Kate Mazade | Release date: February 1, 2022 | Capt. Joe W. King wrote 450 letters home to his wife while stationed with a B-24 bomber unit in Italy during WWII.
- “Carry Out, Carry On: A Year in the Life of a Texas Chef” by Jon Bonnell | Release date: September 30, 2021 | Follow the incredible journey of a local chef and restaurant owner through the chaotic pandemic of 2020.