The 70th State Fair of Texas kicked off last Friday and the FTWtoday team headed to Fair Park for opening day. City Editor Kate, here — There are hundreds of things to try at the fair + Rebecca and I are sharing our editor’s picks on everything from food to rides to shows.
The full schedule is extensive. If you’re on a time crunch, here are our single-day must-dos.
- Fried charcuterie board | The winner of this year’s Savory category in the Big Tex Awards, this fare is sweet and salty, spicy and creamy.
- Fletcher’s Corny Dogs | A can’t-miss classic — there are multiple Fletcher’s stands across the park.
- Editor’s Pick: Frontier Fruit and Nut Co. | Need a sweet treat to eat + take home? Try the Mansfield confectionery’s turtle fudge.
- Texas Star Ferris Wheel | 212 exhilarating feet above the Dallas skyline.
- Midway games | Grab a Big Tex game card + win a stuffed prize.
- Editor’s Pick: Dentzel Carousel | A 1914 staple for those who need slower-paced fun.
- Butter sculpture | Artist Tom Robert’s “Big Tex’s Butter Birthday Party” is a lard of fun.
- Mavs Vault | Slam dunk into the history of the Dallas Mavericks in the Hall of State.
- Editor’s Pick: Mundo Latino: “Dia de Los Muertos” | Celebrate the Day of the Dead with art installations and face painting at the Women’s Museum.
- Oncor petting zoo | Feed goats, camels, kangaroos, miniature horses, and more out of the palm of your hand.
- Stunt Dog Show | Catch the crazy canines perform gravity-defying tricks.
- Editor’s Pick: SOAR! | Presented by World of Birds, watch exotic birds fly from the top of the Ferris wheel to the Band Shell.
- Kroger Starlight Parade | See floats with a giant cow and a mirrored man parade around the fairgrounds every night.
- Live music | Concerts are included with admission and take place across three stages.
- Editor’s Pick: Mattress Firm Illumination Sensation | Don’t miss the nightly show with dancers, lights, pyrotechnics, and popular music all reflected in the Esplanade.