National Hispanic Heritage Month kicked off this week and runs through Sat., Oct., 15. The month commemorates Hispanic cultures and recognizes the independence days of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico + Chile.
To commemorate the deep heritage of Fort Worth — and the 325,000+ Hispanic residents who call her home — the next four weeks will be filled with festivities across public organizations and local businesses. Keep reading for event highlights including performances, markets, art exhibitions, and opportunities to learn about the diversity within different cultures.
Note: This is by no means an exhaustive list + we’d love for it to continue to grow throughout the month. Send us new events that you’re looking forward to and we’ll add them here, as well as on our Events calendar.
- Fort Worth Fiestas Patrias | Sun., Sept. 18 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Fort Worth Stockyards | Fun for the whole family with live music, ballet Folklorico, a cattle drive, Grito de Independencia + a parade.
- México en La Sangre Fiesta | Sun., Sept. 18 | 2 p.m. | Cowtown Coliseum | See a show of horsemanship in the “Mexico in Our Blood” rodeo.
- Latin American Walking Parade & Festival | Sat., Sept. 24 | 5-8 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Enjoy a Loteria game, Hispanic cuisine, live music, and Folklorico dance performances.
- Mariposa Market | Sat., Sept. 24 + Sun., Sept. 25 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. + 12-5 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Shop local Hispanic artisan vendors + enjoy family-friendly activities.
- Blessing of the Animals | Tues., Oct. 4 | 4-6 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Bring your pet for a special moment in the second annual blessing.
- Live Music | Fri., Sept. 16-Sun., Sept. 18 | 7 p.m. | Sundance Square | Shake things up with performances from The Hedras Ramos Latin Jazz Trio, salsa dancing lessons with Fusión Latina, and a Jazz-Cuban Timba mashup with Carlos Averhoff Jr.'s Iqba Group.
- Mexican Independence Day Celebration | Sun., Sept. 18 | 1-9 p.m. | La Gran Plaza de Fort Worth, 4200 S. Fwy. | Celebrate with live entertainment including folkloric groups and mariachi performances.
- ¡Bienvenidos! | Sat., Oct. 8 + Sat., Oct. 15 | 2 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Register in advance for a performance by the Fort Worth Opera on Horseshoe Lawn.
- Open Studios | Sun., Sept. 18 | 1-3 p.m. | Kimbell Art Museum | Artist Karla García will lead a tour of clay sculptures inspired by Maya ceramics.
- Murillo: From Heaven to Earth | Sun., Sept. 18-Sun., Jan. 29, 2023 | Kimbell Art Museum | The special exhibition is the largest US gathering of Spanish artist Bartolomé Esteban Murillo’s paintings in 20 years.
- Frida Fest | Sat., Oct. 1 | Sundance Square | The free day-long market will feature Latina artists from across Texas with creations dedicated to Frida Khalo.
- An Evening at Casa Azul | Sat., Oct. 15 | 6-10 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Visit a replica of Frida Kahlo’s lifelong home under the twinkling lights of the Leonard Courtyard.
- Stolen Education | Sun., Sept. 18 | 4 p.m. | Artes de la Rosa, 1440 N. Main St. | See the film that is part of the Movies that Matter Latino series.
- Family Movie Night | Sat., Oct. 1 | 7:30 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Head to the Horseshoe Garden for a showing of Disney’s “Encanto.”
- La Herbolaria | Sat., Sept. 17 | 12-2 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | The Blue Zones Project will teach about botanical material in medicine and cultural practices.
- Quinceañera Community Celebration | Sat., Sept. 17 | 4-6:30 p.m. | BRIT, 1700 University Dr. | Learn about the history of quinceañeras.
- Ferns of Colombia | Tues., Sept. 20 | 12-1 p.m. | Virtual | Dr. Alejandra Vasco will share stories from her team’s first botany expedition.
- Dia de la Familia | Sat., Oct. 1 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Educational fun for the whole family: piñatas, story times + an exploration station.
- Caribbean Urban Ethnobotanies | Tues., Oct. 4 | 12-1 p.m. | Virtual | Dr. Ina Vandebroek from the University of the West Indies in Mona, Jamaica will share her research.